Employee Absence is a tremendous expense for some companies, yet research proposes that lone a minority of employers screen that expense. Workers may require downtime for a variety of reasons, from momentary infection to longer-term medical problems. A viable nonattendance the absence management system should uphold the wellbeing needs of workers while giving clear and reliable direction to stay away from unapproved absence or unseemly utilization of sick pay plans.
Benefits of having absence and sickness policy for any company can be fruitful in many ways, such as;
- Lower insurance cost
- Higher rates of employee retention and motivation
- Better productivity, profitability and morale of the employees
From a management point of view, having an absence and sickness policy can help you to:
- Preventing small problems of getting out of control
- Measure and monitor employee absence
- Identify and tackle underlying problems such as workload demands, poor working conditions, work-life balance issues, conflict at work or lack of adequate training/career development.
What should generally be included in the sickness/absence policy?
- At the point when time off might or should be allowed, e.g. jury administration leave and time off for crises including dependants.
- Give details of contractual binding sick pay terms and their relationship with statutory sick pay
- Contain details of when workers need to give a fit note from their doctor
- Clarify that changes might be suitable to help the representative in getting back to work when is practicable
- How the employee or the worker should notify you in case they are sick, or going to be behind schedule for work or missing for other unforeseen reasons, e.g. in light of the fact that they have an accident or become sick. It very well may be useful to explain the conditions when dependents leave would commonly be relevant, like where the reason for absence identifies with a crisis circumstance or unforeseen disturbance.
- At the point when they ought to present a medical certificate from their doctor or self-confirm their illness and ramifications of inability to give proper certification. Note that under legal sick pay rules, self-confirmation is just needed from the fourth day, and a medical statement from the eighth day, of an absence.
- Statutory – and any contractual – sick pay arrangements. This should also be covered in each employee’s written statement of employment particulars.
- The conditions when unlucky absences will be managed as a capacity issue and the conditions when nonappearances will be managed as a lead issue.
- Potential systems for utilizing the employers’ own doctor/clinical guide or the strategy for looking for a employees consent to acquire a clinical report from their GP/clinical specialist.
Are you entitled to take time off work for hospital, dentist or other appointments?
Your manager may give you time off work to visit the doctor or dental specialist however they’re not legitimately needed to do (regardless of whether paid or unpaid) except if your agreement of business says as much, or on the grounds that you experience the ill effects of a disabled. Your manager can demand you make these visits outside work hours, take occasion leave or make the time up later on. You should check your contract of employment to perceive what rights you have.
In the event that you have a clinical or dental emergency requiring urgent treatment, this is probably going to add up to sickness absence (not a medical appointment). The equivalent applies where you should be conceded to emergency clinic as an inpatient, for instance to go through an operation. In these situations, either legal or statutory sick pay will be expected.
Can I be dismissed while on sick leave?
You can be dismissed without having the choice of pursuing after an uncalled for dismissal claim in the event that you have not been employed by your employer for somewhere around two years. Be that as it may, in the event that you have a disability under the Equality Act 2010, you might have the option to seek after a case for disability discrimination in the Employment Tribunal.
Your employer is likely to investigate your sickness absence differently depending on whether you have taken short and intermittent spells of absence or if you have had one long period of absence.
A policy might set out a degree of attendance that you are required to adhere to and your absences will be observed accordingly. There may likewise be a system you ought to follow when you take sickness absence. On the off chance that your participation is being checked and there is no improvement, your employer might summon their disciplinary procedure, which might actually bring about dismissal. An employer should follow a reasonable and sensible disciplinary procedure. On the off chance that they don’t, you might have the option to guarantee that you were ridiculously dismissed.
On the off chance that you go on long term sick leave, the employer should show that it has investigated your health condition and your capacity to get back to work. In most cases, the employer will get medical evidence from occupational health professional. An evaluation will be made about when you will be fit to get back to work and regardless of whether any sensible changes can be made to help your return.
If you are not happy with the way that your sickness absence is being handled, you might wish to take legal advice.